Double Taxation in the UK: Taxation Roadblock in Old Blighty!

Discover the effects of double taxation in the UK and how it creates a taxation roadblock in Old Blighty. Find out what you can do to protect yourself!
Double taxation in the uk

Table of Content

Welcome, Folks!

Today we will dive into the intriguing world of taxation! We will talk about bringing attention to double taxation, a difficult problem that has been bothering businesses and people in the UK for a long time.

Yes, you heard right, it is the dreaded financial roadblock in good old England. But don’t worry. As we untangle this complicated web of tax problems, we will keep it real and easy to understand by leaving no stone unturned and no term undefined. So buckle up and join us as we go through the twists and turns of this taxing topic, shedding light on the dark corners of double taxation and what it means in the UK. Are you ready to get the knots out?

Let’s get started, then!

Definition of Double Taxation

Double taxation means that the same income or earnings are taxed twice at different levels. This taxation principle can be applied to both corporations and individuals. Also, when there is international trade, this tax is applied in two different countries.

Double Taxation in the UK

If you are a resident with income or gains in another country or a non-resident with income or gains in the UK, you may be required to pay taxes in the UK and another country. This is known as ‘double taxation.’ 

You can usually file for tax relief to get some or all of this tax back. Whether or not your foreign income has already been subject to tax affects how you claim.

Double Taxation in the UK Example

Let’s imagine a hypothetical situation: Company A is a multinational corporation based in the United States and also has operations in the UK. Company A generates profits from its UK operations, which are subject to UK corporation tax. 

However, as the company is also based in the US, it must pay US taxes on its worldwide income, including the profits earned in the UK.

Sounds daunting, right?

Double Taxation HMRC

The UK and the country from which your income is derived may tax you on your foreign earnings. Generally, you can claim tax relief to get back some or all of this tax. Whether or not your foreign income has already been subject to tax affects how you claim.

You have to apply for tax relief from double taxation with HMRC.

Relief of Double Taxation in the UK Calculator

The calculation of double taxation relief in the UK depends on the details of the tax treaty between the UK and other countries. But the general rules are as follows:

  1. Exemption Method: Under this method, income already taxed in a foreign country may not be taxed in the UK. This prevents the same income from being taxed more than once. To qualify for the exemption, the taxpayer must provide proof of tax paid in the foreign country.
  1. Tax Credit Method: With this method, taxpayers in the UK can claim a tax credit for taxes paid in another country. In most cases, the credit is limited to the amount of UK tax due on the foreign income. The taxpayer may be required to provide proof of payment of foreign taxes, and the method used to calculate the credit may differ depending on the tax treaty.

  2. Tax Deduction Method: In some cases, the taxpayer may be able to deduct foreign tax paid from their UK tax liability. This lowers the total amount of taxes a person has to pay. Again, whether or not the deduction is available and how much it is would depend on what the tax treaty says.
Relief Method of Double Taxation

What Is the Double Tax Treaty?

Double taxation is quite a hassling and daunting issue for any entrepreneur. It’s a roadblock for many people who are operating their businesses or considering doing so. Many countries have “double taxation agreements” with the UK to prevent people from paying tax twice on the same income. “Double tax treaties” or “double tax conventions” are other names for “double tax agreements.”

Double Taxation Treaties, or DTTs, are bilateral agreements that keep foreign investors from having to pay taxes on their income in two different countries.

How Do Double Taxation Treaties in the UK Work?

Double taxation treaties in the United Kingdom are agreements between two countries that prevent individuals and businesses from being taxed twice on the same income. These treaties specify which countries have the authority to tax certain types of income, such as dividends or royalties.

They also provide mechanisms for reducing or eliminating the tax burden in one country if taxes in the other country have already been paid. Simply put, these treaties make sure people and businesses don’t get taxed twice on their income, and they help determine which country gets to tax what.

Double Taxation Agreement Countries with the UK

Double Taxation Agreements, or DTAs, are treaties between two or more countries to avoid international double taxation of income and property. The main goal of a DTA is to divide the right to tax between the countries that sign it so that there are no differences, all taxpayers have the same rights and safety, and tax evasion is stopped.

Many countries have double taxation agreements with the UK. These countries have signed agreements with the United Kingdom to prevent individuals and businesses from being taxed twice on the same income or profits.

Which Countries Have Double Taxation Agreements with the UK?

The list of countries with double taxation agreements with the UK is given below:

  • Albania: tax treaties.
  • Algeria: tax treaties.
  • Anguilla: tax treaties.
  • Antigua and Barbuda: tax treaties.
  • Argentina: tax treaties.
  • Armenia: tax treaties.
  • Aruba: tax treaties.
  • Australia: tax treaties.
  • Austria: tax treaties.
  • Azerbaijan: tax treaties.

To learn more about the list, click here.

How to File for “Treaty Residence” Under Double Tax Treaties

Even though double tax treaties are fairly common, they can be hard to use and make it hard to get tax relief.

A person who thinks they may be a tax resident in two places, including the UK, must claim treaty residence by filing a self-assessment tax return and a specific tax treaty relief claim. This is the first step in the process.

People can do this on their own, but there are a lot of rules, requirements, and tests that need to be followed correctly to ensure the right tax residence status is used.

Far more often, people ask for the help of an accountant who is qualified and has experience using double tax treaties to get tax relief. Fees vary based on how complicated a person’s personal situation is. 

However, in almost all cases, the tax savings far outweigh the costs of hiring an accountant, and the person can be sure they are paying the right amount of tax. 

Double Taxation Relief in the UK

If a person has income or gains from a source in one country but lives in another, that same income or gain can be taxed twice. Double Tax Relief, or DTR, is a measure that is meant to get rid of this double tax on the same source of income or gain.

What Types of Double Taxation Relief Are Available in the UK?

In the UK, there are three ways to avoid being taxed twice: two are in the form of tax credits, and one is a deduction from a business’s profits. These types of double taxation relief are distinct by the situation and different requirements.

Take a look below:

Full Relief

Where the double taxation agreement allows, you can claim full UK tax relief. Depending on the country you live in and whether or not it has a double taxation agreement with the UK, you may have to pay taxes on your income there.

Partial Relief

When the double taxation agreement specifies that the UK tax attributable to income is lower than the standard domestic rate, you may be eligible to claim partial relief from UK tax. For example, if the basic rate in the United Kingdom is 20% and your country’s double taxation agreement with the United Kingdom is 15%, you can claim 5% relief.

Credit Relief

If your income is subject to tax in both your home country and the UK, you may be eligible for credit relief. You can deduct the tax you paid on your UK income from your home country’s tax. You must claim back the tax you paid to the country in which you reside.

One kind of tax credit relief is called “unilateral relief,” and it comes from the UK’s own laws.

The other kind of tax credit relief comes from double-tax treaties with other countries. In a double tax agreement, the exact way relief is given will vary from one treaty to the next.

Other Kinds of Double Taxation Relief

The double taxation agreement between your country and the UK may have other requirements you must meet to get tax relief from the UK. For instance, it might say:

  • You must be the “beneficial owner” of the income. This means that the income is not in your name, but you benefit from it.

  • Your income must be ‘subject to tax,’ which means it is taxable in the country you live in, whether it is for all of your income or just the amount you receive in your country.

Before claiming UK tax relief, you must:

  • Check all the rules of the double taxation agreement that apply to you.

  • Gather enough evidence to demonstrate that you meet its requirements.

  • Keep the evidence in case you need it to back up your claim.
How Do You Claim Double Taxation Relief in the UK?

How Do You Claim Double Taxation Relief in the UK?

A CAT or Capital Acquisitions Tax return must be filed online through Revenue Online Service (ROS) or myAccount to claim the relief. HM Revenue & Customs, the UK tax authorities, issue a certificate of Inheritance Tax paid in the UK. This must be submitted with your claim to the CAT unit. The certification attests to the following:

  • The total inheritance tax in the United Kingdom on the property.

  • The property and its taxable value in the United Kingdom.

  • The tax payment date.

  • The tax was calculated according to the treaty.

  • That the tax is final and that no request for a refund of UK tax is currently pending.

  • The Revenue Commissioners will be informed if the UK subsequently issues a refund.

  • This certificate must be kept for six years and be available for Revenue to check if they want to. There is a deadline for getting a credit or a tax refund that goes with it. You have to file your claim within six years of the date of the event it is about.

DTAs for Students in the UK

Foreign students studying in the UK should be aware of special tax and national insurance rules, as well as visa requirements. To be certain of their tax liabilities, students should contact the UK Council for International Student Affairs or a professional specializing in international taxation. 

What is Dual Residence in the UK?

It is possible to be a tax resident of more than one country simultaneously. This is called a dual residence.

You are considered a dual resident if you live in the UK and another country, and both countries tax your income.

If the two countries have a double taxation agreement, you can claim full or partial relief from the UK tax.

What Is a Certificate of Residence in the UK?

If a company pays tax on its foreign income in the UK, it needs a CoR, or Certificate of Residence, to get tax relief in another country. The company may be entitled to a tax refund if it has already paid it.

If a company is based in the UK and has an anti-double taxation agreement with the nation where its business is conducted, a Certificate of Residence may be necessary.

You can apply for a Certificate of Residence if:

  • You are considered a UK resident.

  • There is a double taxation agreement in place with the country in question.

Certificate of Residence Form

For the partnership Certificate of Residence form, use the online RES1 form. For a registered pension scheme Certificate of Residence, use Form APSS 146E.

If the other country provides you with a form to certify your residence, you must submit it to HMRC along with Form APSS 146E.

If someone else is applying on your behalf, you must also complete forms APSS 146C and APSS 146D. These forms should be mailed to the address listed on APSS 146E and should only be submitted once.

You are not required to submit these forms if:

  • Third-party authorization for UK tax repayments has already been granted on forms APSS 146A and APSS 146B.

  • It has been confirmed in writing that they are also authorized to handle requests for residence certificates.

If the people authorized to handle requests for certificates of residence change, you must still send forms APSS 146C and APSS 146D.

FAQs on Double Taxation in the UK

Q1. When does double taxation occur?

Answer: Double taxation occurs when two or more countries tax the same profits. This can happen when the countries do not agree on how to tax cross-border income or when the two countries have different tax systems.

Q2. How does double taxation affect the economy?

Answer: Double taxation can have a big effect on the economy. When companies are taxed twice on the same income, it can slow economic growth and make them less likely to invest.

Q3. What if I am liable to tax in two countries on the same income?

Answer: If you are a resident with income or gains in another country or a non-resident with income or gains in the UK, you may be required to pay taxes in both the UK and another country. This is known as ‘double taxation.’

Q4. Which business entity suffers from double taxation?

Answer: C Corporations, or “corporations,” in the US and limited companies in the UK are business entities subject to double taxation. 

Q5. What are UK double taxation agreements?

Answer: UK double taxation agreements are deals made between the UK and other countries to keep people and businesses from having to pay taxes in both countries on the same income. These agreements ensure that taxpayers do not have to pay taxes twice and give rules for figuring out which country has the right to tax certain kinds of income the most.

By lowering tax barriers and giving taxpayers more certainty, these agreements help countries trade and invest with each other. More information about UK double taxation agreements can be found on the HMRC or UK government websites.

Q6. Does dual residency affect the tax I pay?

Answer: Your dual residency may affect the amount of tax you pay in the UK. If you are a dual resident, you should only pay tax on a portion of your income in the UK. This is especially important to understand if you attempt to clarify your non-resident status in the United Kingdom.

Check your dual residency status for the current and previous four tax years to avoid being taxed twice on the same income. You might pay too much tax in the UK if you don’t.

Q7. Are international students UK residents?

Answer: If you live in the UK for 183 days or more during the tax year, you will always be considered a resident of the UK for that year. 

But if you spend less than 183 days in the UK during that tax year and are an international student studying in the UK, it can be hard to pass the Statutory Residence Test.

Q8. Do double-taxation rules apply to VAT?

No, double taxation rules don’t apply to VAT.

Last But Not Least,

Well, that’s it. We explored, talked about, and discussed all the aspects of double taxation in the UK. Still, if you have any questions or queries, please feel free to contact us at Business Globalizer.

Have a happy entrepreneurial journey!

Related Post