Foreign-Owned LLC Taxation Guide for Non-US Residents

Explore our comprehensive guide on foreign-owned LLC taxation for non-US residents. Simplify your tax compliance with expert insights and tips.
Foreign-Owned LLC Taxation Guide for Non-US Residents

Table of Content

Understanding the tax rules can be tricky if you’re a non-US resident and own a Limited Liability Company (LLC) in the United States. But no worries! We are here to help.

With this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through how LLCs are taxed in the US, what it means for you as a non-resident, and some helpful tips to manage your taxes effectively. Whether you’re new to LLC ownership or looking to refine your tax strategies, our guide on “foreign-owned LLC taxation” is designed to make things clearer and simpler for you.

Let’s go!

What Is a Foreign-Owned LLC?

“LLC” stands for limited liability company, a common business structure in the United States. It provides limited liability protection to its owners while offering flexibility in taxation and management.

A foreign-owned LLC is a business structure where a Limited Liability Company (LLC) is owned by someone who is not a citizen or resident of the United States. This owner can be an individual, a company, or another entity based outside the US. A foreign-owned LLC gives the owner protection against personal liability for business debts while doing business in the United States.

The ownership can be a single individual or multiple partners, and there is no need to live in the US. This setup provides certain advantages, like liability protection, where owners are not personally liable for business debts and lawsuits. Plus, it offers a certain degree of anonymity and can be more cost-effective to manage than other business entities.

Different Taxes for Foreign-Owned Limited Liability Companies

Foreign-owned LLC taxation can vary depending on the structure of the LLC and the activities it engages in. Here are the different types of taxation that may apply:

  • Income Tax: If the LLC is treated as a ‘disregarded entity’ (common for single-member LLCs), the foreign owner must report and pay taxes on the income attributed to the LLC on their personal tax return. If treated as a corporation, the LLC itself is subject to corporate income tax on its profits.

  • Withholding Tax: The U.S. may require withholding tax on certain types of income (such as dividends—in case the LLC chooses to elect as a corporation during taxation) paid by the LLC to the foreign owner.

  • Employment Taxes: If the LLC has employees, it is responsible for payroll taxes, including withholding and paying Social Security, Medicare, and federal unemployment taxes.

  • Excise Taxes: If the LLC deals in specific goods, services, or activities subject to federal excise taxes, it must comply with these tax requirements.

  • State and Local Taxes: The LLC may be liable for state and local taxes, such as state income tax, sales tax, and property tax, depending on where it operates.

  • FIRPTA: The Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act (FIRPTA) applies if the LLC invests in U.S. real property interests, potentially leading to additional taxes.

  • Information Reporting: A foreign-owned LLC must file Form 5472 for informational reporting if it has reportable transactions with its foreign owner or other foreign-related parties.

  • Branch Profits Tax: If the LLC is treated as a foreign corporation for U.S. tax purposes, it might be subject to the Branch Profits Tax, which is akin to a dividend distribution tax.

Foreign owners of U.S. LLCs should consult with a tax professional experienced in international tax law to ensure compliance and optimize their tax strategy.

Taxation Choice of an LLC

LLC Taxed as an S-Corporation or C-Corporation: LLCs have the option to be taxed as S-Corporations or C-Corporations. An election must be filed with the IRS to do this.

As an S-Corporation, the LLC can pass income, losses, deductions, and credits through to the members without paying federal corporate taxes. By default, foreign LLCs in the US don’t have the option of becoming S corporations.

As a C-Corporation, the LLC is taxed at the corporate level, and dividends distributed to members are taxed again at the individual level. A foreign LLC, whether single-member or multi-member, can elect to be treated as a C corporation for U.S. tax purposes.

(Note: S-corporation is only for US residents; Whereas a non-resident can choose C corporation for their taxation advantages.)

Tax Rates of Foreign-Owned LLC

The tax rates for foreign-owned LLC owners in the U.S. largely depend on how the LLC is classified for tax purposes and whether the income is effectively connected with a U.S. trade or business.

Determining the tax rates for foreign-owned LLC owners in the US requires considering several factors:

For a Disregarded Entity (Single-Member LLC)

If you’re the only owner of a foreign-owned LLC, the U.S. treats this like you’re a sole proprietor. Your LLC is treated as a disregarded entity, and its income is considered the income you make.
As a foreign owner, when you are engaged in a U.S. trade or business, your income is subject to U.S. income tax. The tax rates for individuals would depend on their total taxable income.

For a Partnership (Multi-Member LLC)

If your LLC has multiple owners, it’s like a partnership. When the LLC is treated as a partnership, each member’s share of the income is taxed. Foreign members are taxed on income effectively connected with a U.S. trade or business. Again, this is taxed at individual rates depending on their individual income, filing status, and any applicable tax treaties between the US and their home country.

LLC Treated as a Corporation

If the foreign-owned LLC elects corporate tax treatment, the LLC pays corporate income tax on its profits. The U.S. corporate income tax rate is a flat rate, which is 21%. If you take money out as a dividend, there might be extra taxes.

Without a tax treaty, dividends paid to foreign owners may be subject to a 30% withholding tax.

Note: Not all LLCs can elect corporate status.

Withholding Tax on Certain Income Types

If you do not live in the US but your LLC does business or trade in the US, any income from that activity is “effectively connected” to the US and is taxed there.

Non-U.S. residents may be subject to withholding taxes on certain types of U.S.-sourced income, like interest, dividends, rents, and royalties. This is also known as the “Non-Resident Alien Tax.” Withholding taxes are often applied at a rate of 30%. But this can be lower if there’s a tax treaty between your country and the U.S.

Additional Considerations: Depending on your situation, you may also be liable for other different taxes.

  • There are a lot of differences between state and local taxes. There is no income tax in some states, but tax rates vary from state to state or are flat.

  • Tax treaties between the U.S. and other countries can significantly impact foreign individuals’ tax rates and withholding requirements.

Tax Advantages of a Foreign-owned LLC for Non-US Residents

When discussing the tax advantages of a Foreign-owned LLC reporting and taxes for non-U.S. residents, it’s crucial to consider the unique aspects of U.S. tax law and how they interact with international tax principles. Here’s an authentic overview tailored to your request:

  • Streamlined Tax Filing: For non-U.S. residents, a major advantage of an LLC is the relatively straightforward tax filing process. If the LLC doesn’t do business in the U.S. or has U.S.-sourced income, in many cases, there may be no requirement to file a U.S. tax return.

  • Pass-Through Taxation Efficiency: LLCs are generally not taxed at the corporate level. Instead, income is taxed at the member level. For non-U.S. residents, this can mean avoiding U.S. tax entirely if the income isn’t effectively connected with a U.S. trade or business.

    For a non-U.S. resident whose home country has a tax treaty with the U.S., this can help in avoiding double taxation of income.

  • No Direct Federal Income Tax Liability: For non-U.S. residents, one of the most significant advantages of a foreign-owned LLC is that it generally doesn’t pay federal income tax directly. Instead, the profits and losses are passed on to the owners.

  • Flexibility in Tax Classification: Foreign owners have the option to classify their LLCs in a way that’s most tax-efficient for them (as a disregarded entity, partnership, or corporation). This flexibility allows for strategic planning to minimize tax liability.

  • Avoidance of U.S. Estate and Gift Taxes: By holding U.S. assets in an LLC, non-U.S. residents might avoid estate and gift taxes that would apply if they held these assets directly.

  • Potential for Favorable Treaty Benefits: Some non-U.S. residents can benefit from reduced tax rates or exemptions under tax treaties between their home countries and the U.S.

  • Limited Liability Protection: This aspect, while not a direct tax benefit, offers financial protection. The personal assets of the LLC members are generally protected from business liabilities.

  • No Self-Employment Taxes: In certain cases, non-U.S. resident members of an LLC might not be subject to U.S. self-employment taxes, depending on their level of activity in the business and the tax treaty provisions.

  • Withholding Tax Considerations: For some types of income like interest, dividends, and royalties, non-U.S. residents might face a withholding tax. However, this rate can be reduced under many tax treaties.

  • Ease of Tax Reporting for Non-ECI: If a non-U.S. resident’s income from the LLC isn’t effectively connected with a U.S. trade or business, their U.S. tax reporting requirements might be simplified or even eliminated in some cases.

  • Use of Foreign Tax Credits: Non-U.S. residents may be able to claim foreign tax credits in their home country for taxes paid in the U.S., potentially reducing double taxation.

It’s important to note that tax regulations can be complex and are subject to change. The specific benefits and obligations can vary significantly based on individual circumstances, and the interplay between U.S. tax law and the tax laws of the LLC owner’s home country can be intricate.

Therefore, non-U.S. residents should consult with a tax professional experienced in international taxation for personalized advice.

IRS Filing Requirements for Foreign-Owned LLC Taxation

The IRS is the U.S. federal government agency responsible for collecting taxes. It functions as the main body for tax collection, enforcement, and interpretation of tax laws, playing a key role in maintaining the country’s tax infrastructure.

When it comes to IRS filing requirements for a foreign-owned LLC in the U.S., it’s important to understand the specific obligations set by this regulatory body.

These requirements can be quite detailed, so here’s a straightforward summary of the key points:

1. Annual Return Filing (Form 1040-NR or 1065)

A foreign-owned LLC is typically classified as a disregarded entity if it has only one member or a partnership if it has multiple members.

  • For a single-member LLC, the foreign owner must file a U.S. tax return if the LLC has income effectively connected with a U.S. trade or business. The form used is typically Form 1040-NR for nonresident aliens. However, even if the LLC doesn’t have enough income to owe taxes, they may still need to file an information return.

  • For multi-member LLCs classified as partnerships, the LLC must file a partnership tax return using Form 1065—reporting the income, deductions, and credits of the LLC—and then pass it on to the individual members’ own tax returns. The members then report their share of the LLC’s income on their individual tax returns.

These filings are necessary to report income, deductions, and taxes due to the U.S. on income effectively connected with a U.S. trade or business. Specific filing deadlines and additional forms might be necessary, depending on the nature of the business and income types.

2. Form 5472 Filing

One of the most important requirements is filing Form 5472 if the LLC engages in certain transactions with its foreign owner or other foreign-related parties. This is applicable even if the LLC is considered a disregarded entity.

This form is used to disclose transactions between the LLC and its foreign owner or foreign-related parties. It helps the IRS monitor and ensure compliance with tax laws related to international transactions.

Note: Not all transactions are reportable. Form 5472 focuses on specific types of transactions, such as sales, rents, services, loans, and capital contributions, exceeding certain thresholds.

3. Pro Forma Form 1120 Filing

To fill out Form 5472, a U.S. business owned by a foreign entity needs a U.S. tax ID number. Even if it doesn’t have to file a U.S. income tax return, it must still submit a pro forma Form 1120 (U.S. Corporation Income Tax Return) with Form 5472 attached by the Form 1120 due date.

4. Employment Tax Filings:

If the LLC has employees, it must file employment tax returns, such as Form 941, and the Employer’s Quarterly Federal Tax Return, and issue Forms W-2 to its employees.

5. Excise Tax Filings

In certain situations, if the foreign-owned LLC is involved in specific types of business activities (like operating trucks on public highways), it may need to file excise tax returns. Excise taxes are levied on specific goods, activities, or services and must be reported and paid to the IRS.

6. Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

If the foreign owner or members of the LLC don’t have a Social Security number, they may need to obtain an ITIN to file their returns.

7. Employer Identification Number (EIN)

The foreign-owned LLC needs to obtain an EIN from the IRS. This is required even if the LLC has no U.S. employees. The EIN is necessary for tax administration purposes and must be included in the filings.

8. Foreign Account Reporting

If the LLC has foreign bank accounts and the aggregate value of all foreign financial accounts exceeds $10,000 at any time during the calendar year, the LLC must file an FBAR (FinCEN Form 114). Failing to file an FBAR or filing an inaccurate one can result in significant penalties.

9. Form 8938, Statement of Foreign Financial Assets

If the LLC holds certain foreign financial assets like bank accounts, brokerage accounts, and certain stocks, and meets the applicable reporting threshold, it must file Form 8938 with its income tax return.

10. State-Specific Filings

Depending on the state where the LLC is formed or operates, there may be additional filing requirements at the state level, such as franchise taxes or annual reports.
It’s important to remember that tax laws and filing requirements can change, and individual circumstances can significantly influence these obligations.

How Is a Foreign-Owned LLC Taxed in the US?

Imagine that your LLC is like a financial messenger. If you’re the only owner of a U.S. LLC but live outside the U.S., the IRS treats your company like it’s part of you, not a separate thing. You need to file a specific Form 5472 for it, though. The money your LLC makes or loses goes straight onto your tax sheet.

But what if you have no U.S. income?
Usually, no U.S. tax or tax return is needed. But you still have to submit Form 5472. Remember, Form 5472 is like sending a postcard to the IRS saying, “Hey, I have this LLC!” even if that LLC doesn’t make any money in the U.S.

The moment your LLC starts making money in the U.S., you need to file a U.S. tax return. It is like telling the IRS, “OK, now I have got some American dollars in my piggy bank.”

For a multi-member LLC, it’s treated as a partnership, and each member pays tax on their share of any U.S.-sourced income. Additionally, the LLC does not have to pay federal income tax. Tax is only due if the LLC earns income from U.S. sources.

How Can You File a US Tax Return as a Non-Resident?

Now that you know how LLCs are usually taxed, let’s learn how to file a U.S. tax return. This process might seem complex, but with the right steps, it can be manageable.

  • Determine your filing status if you’re classified as a non-resident for U.S. tax purposes.

  • Gather Required Documentation, such as forms W-2, 1042-S (if applicable), and any other records of income earned in the U.S. You’ll also need your ITIN or SSN.

  • Select the correct form to file. Non-residents typically file Form 1040-NR. If your situation is simpler (like certain students or scholars), Form 1040-NR-EZ might be appropriate.

  • On Form 1040-NR, report all income that’s connected with U.S. business or trade. This includes employment income, dividends, rental income, etc.

  • Check to see if you’re eligible for any deductions or tax credits.

  • Check for tax treaty benefits.

  • You can submit your tax return electronically through IRS-approved platforms or mail it to the IRS, depending on your preference.

  • If you owe tax, make sure to pay by the deadline to avoid late fees and interest.

  • After filing, keep a copy of your tax return and all related documents for at least three years as a record.

When Do Foreign Business Owners Pay Taxes?

Alongside learning about foreign-owned LLC taxation, it’s important to learn about the time of taxation. So, when exactly do foreign business owners need to pay their taxes in the U.S.?

The answer depends on how your business earns income in the U.S. Here are the key points:

  • Income Connected to U.S. Operations: If your business earns money directly through activities in the U.S., this is considered “effectively connected income.”

    Examples include running a store, office, or another type of business in the U.S.

  • Annual Tax Payment: Generally, the tax on this income is due annually.
    The standard deadline for filing your tax return and paying any taxes owed is April 15th of the year following the tax year. For example, for income earned in 2023, you would file your tax return and pay by April 15, 2024.

  • Quarterly Estimated Tax Payments: If your business earns income steadily throughout the year, the IRS may require you to make estimated tax payments every quarter.

    This is similar to how many U.S. self-employed individuals pay taxes, ensuring that taxes on income are paid as the income is earned during the year.

  • Specific Deadlines for Quarterly Payments: These quarterly payments are typically due on April 15, June 15, September 15, and January 15 of the following year.

  • Different Rules for Non-Connected Income: If you have U.S.-sourced income that is not connected to a U.S. business, like dividends or royalties, different tax rules and payment schedules may apply.

Remember, these are general guidelines, and your specific situation might vary, especially if there are tax treaties or other unique circumstances. It’s always a good idea to consult with a tax professional who specializes in international business to make sure you meet all your tax obligations correctly.

When Is a Foreign-Owned LLC Tax-Free in the US?

A foreign-owned LLC in the U.S. is tax-free on the federal level for certain types of income under specific conditions. Here’s when this applies:

  • If it doesn’t generate any income that is effectively connected with a U.S. trade or business, and it doesn’t have any U.S.-sourced income,

  • If you, as a foreigner, use your U.S. LLC to provide certain services completely online and from outside the U.S., then the income you earn from these services may not be subject to U.S. federal taxes. These services include:
    • Web development and design.
    • Consulting (such as management, business, lifestyle, financial, accounting, etc.).
    • IT services.
    • Marketing services.
    • Legal services performed online.

However, it’s crucial to note that if these services are provided while you’re physically present in the U.S., the income becomes taxable. As a Non-Resident Alien (NRA) owner of a U.S. LLC, you typically won’t have a work visa for the U.S. As a non-resident alien (NRA) owner, you would personally be subject to taxes on income earned while physically present in the US, regardless of your visa status.

Note: Even if the LLC is exempt from federal tax, it may still be subject to state and local taxes in the jurisdiction where it’s registered.

Is Dropshipping Tax-Free in the US for a Foreign-Owned LLC?

No, dropshipping is not automatically tax-free in the U.S. for a foreign-owned LLC. If the LLC earns income from dropshipping activities that are effectively connected with a U.S. trade or business, that income is subject to U.S. taxation. Additionally, there may be state sales tax obligations depending on the location of the customers and the nature of the transactions.

Is E-Commerce Tax-Free in the US for A Foreign-Owned LLC?

No, e-commerce is not automatically tax-free in the U.S. for a foreign-owned LLC. If the e-commerce business generates income that is directly related to a trade or business in the United States, it is subject to U.S. taxation. This includes income from selling goods or services to U.S. customers through an online platform. Additionally, state sales taxes may apply, depending on where the customers are located and the specific state laws.

How Is a Resident-Owned LLC Taxed in the US?

In the U.S., a resident-owned LLC is typically taxed as a pass-through entity, where the income of the LLC is passed directly to the owners (members) and reported on their tax returns. This is different from a foreign-owned LLC, where tax implications can vary based on the owner’s residency status and whether the income is effectively connected with a U.S. trade or business.

For resident-owned LLCs, the profits are subject to U.S. federal income tax and possibly state taxes, regardless of the source of income, whereas foreign-owned LLCs may only be taxed on U.S.-sourced income.

How Does LLC Taxation in Different States Work for Non-US Residents?

LLC taxation for non-U.S. residents can vary by state in the U.S. Here’s a simplified explanation with a practical example:

  • Federal Tax Consistency: At the federal level, the taxation of an LLC for non-U.S. residents generally follows the rules we discussed earlier.

  • State Income Tax: However, at the state level, taxation can differ. Some states, like Delaware, don’t impose a state income tax on LLCs that generate income outside the state. So, a non-U.S. resident who owns an LLC in Delaware but earns income from international sources may not have state income tax obligations.


Imagine you’re a non-U.S. resident who owns an LLC in Delaware but conducts business internationally. If your LLC doesn’t have income connected to Delaware, you may not owe state income tax in Delaware.

For another practical example, consider the Wyoming LLC taxation for non-residents.

Wyoming doesn’t have a state income tax on LLCs. Non-U.S. residents typically don’t owe state income tax on their LLC’s income. However, you are still subject to federal taxation based on your income effectively connected with a U.S. trade or business, following federal tax rules.

They may also need to comply with Wyoming’s annual reporting requirements and fees for maintaining their LLC in the state.

State Reporting Requirements: While you might not have a state income tax, some states may still require LLCs to file informational returns or pay annual fees. The requirements vary by state.

Remember, state tax laws can change, so staying updated on the tax rules of the state where your LLC is registered is essential.

What Happens If I Don’t File Tax for My Foreign-Owned LLC?

You may miss or want to avoid foreign-owned LLC taxation. But you should learn that several consequences can happen if you don’t file taxes for your foreign-owned LLC when the IRS requires you to:

  • Penalties and Interest: The IRS can impose penalties and interest on any unpaid taxes. These penalties can accumulate over time and significantly increase your tax bill.

  • Loss of Tax Benefits: By not filing taxes, you may miss out on potential tax deductions, credits, or benefits that could reduce your tax liability.

  • Legal Issues: Failure to comply with U.S. tax laws can lead to legal issues, including audits and investigations by the IRS.

  • Inability to Conduct Business: Some states may require LLCs to be in good standing with tax filings to maintain their business licenses. Non-compliance could jeopardize your ability to conduct business legally.

  • Asset Seizure: In extreme cases of non-compliance, the IRS may take legal action to collect unpaid taxes, which can include seizing assets or placing liens on property.

  • Negative Impact on Immigration Status: If you’re in the U.S. on a visa or immigration status, failing to meet tax obligations can have adverse effects on your immigration status.

To Prevent This, Follow These Steps:

  • Understand Your Tax Obligations: First, make sure you understand your tax obligations as a foreign-owned LLC. Know whether your LLC’s income is effectively connected with a U.S. trade or business, which determines your tax liability.

  • Maintain Accurate Records: Keep detailed and accurate financial records, including income, expenses, and relevant documentation. This will help you calculate your tax liability correctly.

  • Consult a Tax Professional: Consider working with a tax professional who specializes in international taxation and LLCs. They can guide you through your specific tax situation and ensure compliance.

  • File Tax Returns Timely: File your federal and state tax returns on time, adhering to the deadlines. If you’re unsure about the filing process, seek professional assistance.

  • Pay Taxes Owed: If your LLC owes taxes, pay them promptly to avoid penalties and interest. The IRS offers various payment options, including online payments and installment agreements.

  • Report Accurate Information: Ensure that all information provided on tax returns, forms, and statements is accurate and truthful.

  • Consider Tax Treaties: Check if there are tax treaties between your home country and the U.S. that might offer benefits or reduce your tax liability.

  • Keep up with Changing Regulations: Tax laws and regulations can change over time. Stay up to date on any news or changes that could affect your tax obligations.

  • Address Late Filing: If you’ve missed deadlines in the past, take corrective action. File late returns and pay any outstanding taxes as soon as possible.

    If you’re facing complex tax issues or have concerns about potential penalties, consider consulting with an attorney who specializes in tax law.

Can Business Globalizer Help You with the Foreign-Owned LLC Taxation?

Yes! Business Globalizer not only ensures tax filing compliance for foreign-owned disregarded entities but also compliance with state taxes like the Wyoming and Delaware franchise tax. Our professional experts can help you with accurate and timely preparation for your tax return. They will take care of all the paperwork very carefully.

Contact us on our website by clicking on “Contact Us,” or you can email, Facebook, or WhatsApp us. We’ll then be able to set up a Skype call with you regarding any kind of business discussion you need.


Q1: Can a foreign corporation own an LLC?

Answer: Yes, a foreign corporation can own a limited liability company (LLC) in the United States. LLCs offer flexibility when it comes to ownership, allowing individuals, corporations, foreign entities, and other entities to be members (owners) of the LLC.

Q2: Can a foreign person own an LLC?

Answer: Yes, a foreign person can own a limited liability company (LLC) in the United States. LLCs are flexible business entities that allow for a wide range of ownership structures, including foreign ownership.

Q3: When someone does not live in the US but runs a Delaware LLC, are there any withholding requirements?

Answer: No, there are no Delaware state withholding requirements for non-U.S. residents operating a Delaware LLC.

Q4: What kinds of taxes do non-residents have to pay on their Delaware LLC?

Answer: Non-US residents who own a Delaware LLC are generally subject to U.S. federal income tax on any income effectively connected with a U.S. trade or business.

They may also be subject to withholding taxes on certain types of income, such as interest, dividends, and rents unless a tax treaty provides relief.

Q5: Before filing Form 5472, how much money does an LLC with foreign ownership have to make?

Answer: The foreign-owned LLC must file Form 5472 with the IRS if it engages in any reportable transactions with related parties during the tax year, regardless of the amount of money involved. There is no specific income threshold for filing Form 5472. The requirement is based on the nature of transactions and relationships with related parties.


In summary, foreign-owned LLC taxation in the U.S. involves various considerations, and compliance with tax laws is crucial. Seek professional guidance, stay informed about tax regulations, and ensure proper compliance to avoid potential issues with tax authorities.

Related Post